Before making a choice between adding on to an existing home or buying a larger one, consider these questions:
- How much money is available, either from cash reserves or through a home improvement loan, to remodel your current house?
- How much additional space is required? Would the foundation support a second floor or does the lot have room to expand on the ground level?
- What do local zoning and building ordinances permit?
- How much equity already exists in the property?
- Are there affordable properties for sale that would satisfy your changing housing needs?